Home TESOL Program – Component Summary
The TEFL International Home TESOL Course involves the teacher in all of the components of a TEFL International TESOL Certificate program without the onsite experience. These are basics that are expected for employment in English Language Teaching (ELT). The program can assist the teacher in connecting with teaching position around the world.
- Foreign Language Experience(FLE). The teacher must study at least 3 hours of a foreign language at home. Qualification outcome: the teacher will complete the Workbook documentation.
- Student Profile (SP). The teacher completes a hypothetical interview with a student learning English. The guidelines for this will be included in the Teacher’s Workbook. Qualification outcome: the teacher will complete the Workbook documentation meeting the specified criteria.
- Language Awareness (LA). The trainee will be able to identify key language features, and use phonemic transcription. Qualification outcome: the teacher will complete the Grammar and Phonology exam with a score of 70+.
- Teaching Techniques (TT). The methodology is accepted as “best practices” for professional English language teaching. Tasks will be assigned from the course text and recorded on a daily basis in the Workbook. Qualification outcomes: The teacher will complete the tasks assigned by the tutor.
- DEMO Observations (DO). The teacher trainee will observe four ELT videos. Qualification outcome: the teacher will satisfactorily complete the Workbook documents for this activity.
- Materials & Media Project (ME). The trainee will compile six sets of materials for each of their teaching practice classes.
Qualification outcome: the teacher will submit materials for review and meet the specified criteria.
- Teaching Experience (TE). This component has the following subcomponents.
- Guided observation of DEMO lessons (above) and reconstruction on the Observation Report Form (4 required)
- Lesson Planning (8 including SP) on forms provided.
- Student profile meetings. 2 meetings of 60′ with an English language learner, documented in Portfolio.
- Teaching practice (6 classes of 60′ with at least 6 students). The trainee will have highlights of these classes videoed.
- Tutor Feedback Reports (8) completed by the observer on lesson plans, self-evaluations and video submitted by the teacher.
- Self-Evaluation forms completed by the trainee (8 including SP)
The Teaching Experience to be completed at a TEFL International course center, or by approved arrangements at the teacher’s location. Qualification outcome: submission of the Portfolio documentation and SKYPE interviews as needed.
8. Training Journal (TJ). This is the daily journal of the teacher’s training-learning experience, including the Teaching Techniques assignments:
- What I learned today?
- How I can use this in my teaching?
Qualification outcome: the teacher will complete the Training Journal section of the Portfolio.
COURSE SCHEDULE & PAYMENTS
The TESOL Hybrid is divided into three phases.
- Foreign Language Experience
- Student Profile
- Language Awareness
- Teaching techniques
- Video observations
- Lesson planning
Fees are payable before the beginning of each phase.
The TEFL International Course Moderator will verify all outcomes in a SKYPE interview.