This just about sums up our little town, with an emphasis on overlooked; which is what probably makes Chiapa de Corzo so special. There really is so much to do in town and in the surrounding area, and hardly anyone knows about it. We have quite a bit of day tourism during the high seasons, as many tour-bus companies have us on their route, but our teachers and volunteers are quickly recognized as part of the community after having been seen more than 2 days in a row!
Situated on the banks of the Grijalva River, and at the mouth of the Sumidero Canyon, Chiapa has plenty to offer for short term, as well as longer term stays. We are 20 minutes away from the capital of the state of Chiapas, Tuxtla Gutierrez. This is where the closest major airport is located. Weekends can be easily taken up exploring the surrounding country side and other towns close-by. Just an hour and a half up the mountain you can get a break from the heat in the picturesque, colonial town of San Cristóbal. Not far fom San Cristobal is Comitán, with ruins and lakes that can be easiy seen in a weekend. A longer trip, about 7 hours from Chiapa, are the world renowned Mayan ruins of Palenque, an unforgettable experience. Day trips to waterfalls like El Chorreadero and El Chiflón, are well worth it, as well.
Weeknights, and night life in general, in Chiapa tend to be fairly laid-back. There are some cafes and bars in town that let you enjoy a nice relaxed atmosphere after a long day of teaching! But, if you are into the occasional trip to malls, discos, big screen movie theaters, etc. that is all within a 20 minute hassle-free bus ride to Tuxtla Gutierrez.
Realistically, night life isn’t Chiapa’s strong point, but culture is. Every single Chiapacorceño will sit down with you for hours and proudly talk about the traditional Feria de Enero. Not to mention all the other days commemorating saints, battles, the dead, etc. scattered throughout the year! You can partake in many of the traditions and traditional handicrafts by enrolling in the free workshops that the Cultural Center,Casa Escuela de Tradiciones , has to offer.
Is easy! There are more and more direct flights to Tuxtla Gutierrez now. If you are unable to find a reasonable flight directly to Tuxtla (the closest major city to Chiapa de Corzo), look for flights to Mexico City and from there it is another 1.5 hour flight. From Cancun, there are also direct flights to Tuxtla. If you enjoy taking your time traveling there are countless buses that arrive in Tuxtla. Check www.ticketbus.com.mx for schedules from all major cities. You can take advantage of our free airport and bus station pick up in Tuxtla Gutierrez by paying your course fee in full prior to arrival. See here for our location below:
Taking a TESOL course in Chiapa de Corzo, Chiapas, Mexico
How to Apply
Fill out an application form and take the next step toward learning amidst the charm and beauty of Mexico.
The training Center in Chiapa de Corzo is located 2 blocks from the main square, and within walking distance to all the homestays, cafes, restaurants, etc. At the Center there is unlimited wireless internet, but limited computers, so travelling with a laptop is helpful. All photocopies are provided by the Center, as well as full access to our resource library. The resources include games, grammar books, grammar activity books, posters, flash cards, etc.
We believe that experience is everything; in teacher training, and in the time that you spend here. Accordingly, all our courses and programs aim to give you the most hands-on approach that you will find anywhere, which will prepare you perfectly and give you the confidence needed for the future. This program is a great way to become fully trained and get a good taste for teaching before making a long term commitment. This course requires an 8 week commitment: the first 4 weeks for the TEFL course and a subsequent 4 weeks of volunteer teaching
Benefits of our program include:
• Small class sizes of a maximum of 6 people, giving you customized, personal attention
• Over 60 hours observing and participating with novice and experienced teachers
• Up to 12 hours of hands on teaching practice for adults, adolescents and primary aged children; all the experience that employers are looking for
• One to one lesson feedback with your qualified teacher trainer
• Exposure to authentic language learning environments and classroom scenarios from day one and teaching experience within the first week
• High quality certification that has allowed all our previous graduates to find work
Included in the course fee in addition to tuition:
• Excluded in the course fee in is collection from the airport or the bus station. Any requests for airport pick ups will be charged US$ 30. However, course fees include all support materials like handbooks, handouts, etc.
• All support materials (handbooks, handouts etc.)
And in addition:
• You will gain a minimum of 2 hours per day teaching experience and classroom contact time to quote on your resume in addition to the hours from your teaching certificate
• You will be providing a service to the community and giving opportunity for native language access to local children
• If you are unsure about the nature of a career in teaching, you will be able to try it out over a short period of time before committing to a standard teaching contract of a year or more
Climate There are 4 distinct seasons, wet , dry, hot, and cool. The hot time of year is from end of March to beginning or mid May. Then the rainy starts and cools things down a bit. The rain will last until October, when things get a lot more cool, down to 50s at night. The dry season lasts from October to May.
Info links on Chiapa de Corzo, Chiapas, Mexico
- 12 February 2018 – 9 March 2018
- 9 April 2018 – 4 May 2018
- 4 June 2018 – 29 June 2018
- 3 September 2018 – 28 September 2018
- 1 October 2018 – 26 October 2018
- 5 November 2018 – 30 November 2018